Dog Meat Trade
Dog Meat Trade
Our support to end the Dog Meat Trade is currently focused within the Philippines and was launched in September 2017 alongside our partner AKF.
In addition to the many thousands of strays struggling for survival every day, they are also at risk of being subjected to the barbaric dog meat trade (DMT) which sees many being brutally slaughtered for human consumption. Despite this being an illegal activity within the country, many are still being killed in this way. Alongside our partner, we will not stop until no more dogs are forced to endure this horrific fate. Through our support, we aim to:
- Develop a network of informers across the Philippines who link into a central enforcement team to identify and arrest those responsible in collaboration with the authorities.
- Provide veterinary care and support to the dogs rescued from the DMT who receive life long support at the sanctuary, with those able to be adopted finding loving homes.
- Run education programmes throughout the Country focused on ending the DMT, creating a compassionate community for strays and responsible pet ownership.
- Begin a neutering programme in 2019, with a focus on the areas where strays are often taken for the dog meat trade
- Provide additional veterinary care to those in need.
The Philippines team all work towards the same vision: To improve the welfare of dogs in the Philippines and eliminate their illegal slaughter for human consumption.
All dogs that have been rescued from the dog meat trade are taken to the sanctuary where they receive any veterinary care they need and full support from the team. Many are then adopted to their forever homes, with some staying at the sanctuary and living with the team as their new family.
Become an IAPWA Volunteer
To find out more about volunteering opportunities at IAPWA, please email the team at email@example.com.